Wednesday 21 October 2015

You Are the Center of the Universe-2

Shiv Shankar Daily's photo.

You Are the Center of the Universe-2
In fact, there is really no such thing as a miracle, but only the operation of higher laws. We are not just physical beings or animals with large brains. Our consciousness goes beyond the brain and transcends it. We have a potential that’s a million times greater than anything we’ve yet been able to experience. The question that we need to ask ourselves, then, is: Why are we wasting our time?
Sooner or later this arm that you wash in the shower every day will be dust. Think about it. If there were no alternative, this would be a negative thought. But there is an alternative, that we are more than we think.
I had studied astronomy before coming to my guru, and I had thought at one time of being an astronomer. One day, he asked me, “What keeps the earth in its orbit around the sun?”
I said, “It’s the gravity of the sun that keeps the earth in place instead of flying off into space.” I thought he was looking for information.
Then he asked, “Well, what keeps the earth from being drawn into the sun?”
I replied, “It’s the earth’s centrifugal force that keeps it moving at a distance.” He just smiled and didn’t say anything more.
A few months later, I thought, “Wait a minute, he was giving me a teaching!” I realized he was saying that this is the nature of the soul — that God draws us to Him with his magnetism, but because we pull away, we don’t merge into Him. Yet He doesn’t let us get too far away, because His love is always there. That’s the central reality of our existence. But Master never explained it. There was just that quiet smile after I answered him. It helped me to realize that he wasn’t merely interested in instruction in astronomy. He was teaching me something, but I had to make that truth my own.
I have to say that in the nearly fifty years since I met my Guru, I’ve spent most of my life thinking about the things he said and did. There was such absolute perfection in his behavior — that is to say, under any circumstance, you could never predict what he would do. It wasn’t as if he had this type of personality or that. He was this sort of fellow, so you could guess what he would do. He was different to every person and behaved uniquely to each individual.
Our tendency is to live at our periphery, with external self- definitions. We worry too much about what others think and say of us, but these things simply don’t matter. You are answerable to God, not to man. You are answerable to your own higher Self, for that’s what God truly is. The closer you get to that higher Self, the more you will realize that you are the center of all that is. You are, “center everywhere, circumference nowhere.”
Om Namah Shivay

No comments:

Post a Comment