Thursday 30 November 2023

How, why and when do you pray to Brahman?

 In ancient Vedic scriptures, Brahman is the word used for the quintessential essence of everything. Brahman, essentially means the eternal reality, the Absolute Truth. It is different from everyday realities (truths) which are temporary & sure to end. Now, since God is also eternal & is said to be the primary (Absolute) Truth, He is also Brahman.

I believe that since the question asks about praying, the author subscribes to the idea of a personal God. In that context, I'd say that I follow the Yuga Dharma of the present times i.e. to chant the holy names of the Lord.

This is my mode of worship as well as the medicine for the disease called materialism. Now the reason for following this mode of worship is three-fold. The first one has to do with the Vedic injunctions & the others are related to my personal capacity.

The 1st reason to choose this mode of worship is that this process has been prescribed by sages & God, for the present age of Kali. Now since God has himself prescribed this method through Vedic scriptures, hence there is no reason for me to doubt this process. Further, many sages have followed this path & have gained success. Hence, I have both authoritative as well as practical proof of the potency of this method of worship.

The 2nd reason is that I do not consider myself to be a great person. The fact that I am born in Kaliyuga is enough to make me realize that I am a very egoistic soul & have missed several chances in past Yugas to attain liberation. This means that I am neither fit for difficult processes like Hatha Yoga or Dhyaan Yoga, nor can I afford to waste my human birth on these mystic processes which are forbidden in Kaliyuga. Hence, without much ado & by understanding the nature of Kaliyuga I follow the Mantra meditation.

The 3rd reason is that my motive to worship Brahman (Krishna) is different. I am not looking for heavenly pleasure, neither am I aiming towards merging with Brahman. If that would have been the case then I'd have chosen the other 'paths'. What I've learned through the scriptures is that the highest aim of life is to become a devotee of the Lord. In that stage one remains blissful at all times & participates directly in transcendental pastimes of the Lord. Hence, I only wish for pure devotional service towards Lord, even if that means missing the chance to get impersonal liberation.

Now when do I worship Brahman (Krishna)? Actually, there is no fixed time. In fact Krishna tells in Gita that one should always remember Him:

man-mana bhava mad-bhakto
mad-yaji mam namaskuru
mam evaisyasi satyam te
pratijane priyo 'si me

Always think of Me and become My devotee. Worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend.

So, I try to remember Him, worship Him at all times. The best thing about devotional service is that you need not leave anything in life or you need not change anything. One has to simply add Krishna to his life. This way, while remaining in this world, one simultaneously lives in Vaikuntha.


Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare 


- Pranjul

No comments:

Post a Comment