Friday 20 February 2015

The Greatest Spiritual Quality


The Greatest Spiritual Quality
If you were to ask me this question: what is the greatest spiritual quality one can have? Without a moment’s hesitation, I would say compassion. Having said that, I don’t deny that sometimes you may have plausible reasons to put your own interests first than be compassionate. It is not easy to always exercise compassion, but, like any other virtue, this too can be learned, practiced and mastered.
Today, however, I’m not talking about compassion. Instead, I wish to share with you another important quality. It is the seed of compassion. The greatest sages of all times, across all religions, possessed it. Even in the modern world, this forms the basis of all harmonious and everlasting interpersonal relationships. Before I tell you what is “it”, allow me to share a famous short story.
In a small village, a farmer put up a Puppies for Sale sign outside his house. On a Sunday morning, a little boy knocked on his door.
“How much are they?” the young visitor said. “I want to buy one of your puppies.”
“They range between $50-$70.”
“Please, can I at least see them for a while for this much?” And, he pulled out a five-dollar bill.
The farmer thought for a moment and said, “That’s alright. There’s no charge for seeing them.”
He opened the door of the doghouse and called out to a dog. Out came a female dog followed by six little puppies nearly rolling down the ramp as if balls of fur. They were trying to match the strides of the mother. They quickly made their way to the fence while another puppy, noticeably smaller and slower, emerged from the shelter and limped his way to his mother.
“Can I buy that one, sir?” The boy pointed at the hobbling puppy. “I promise to pay you $5 every month for the next 10 months.”
The farmer knelt down at his side and said, “Son, you don’t want that puppy. Unlike the other dogs, he will never be able to run and play with you.”
“This is the puppy I want, sir.” The little boy stepped back a little and began rolling up one leg of his trousers. A steel brace, attached to a custom shoe, ran down both sides of his leg. “Actually, I don’t run too well myself, and he will need someone who understands.”
Om Namah Shivay

No comments:

Post a Comment