Wednesday 8 February 2017

In Hindu philosophy, the Sanskrit sentence - Aham Brahmasmiti means I am Brahman" (Aham Brahmasmi) or "I am the Infinite Reality".

Image may contain: one or more people
Show more reactions


In Hindu philosophy, the Sanskrit sentence - Aham Brahmasmiti means I am Brahman" (Aham Brahmasmi) or "I am the Infinite Reality". It is one of the four Mahavakyas used to explain the unity of macrocosm and microcosm. Literally, Aham means "I", that which cannot be deserted or abandoned on account of being constant, unavoidable, ever present; Brahman means ever-full or whole, and Asmi means "am". This mahavakya belongs to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad of the Shukla Yajurveda. Brahman is the Infinite Reality, the all encompassing existence in itself; only when the ego dies can this be realized. In this sentence the "I" is not the limited transmigrating ego, the doer and the enjoyer within, and also not the body and the mind. Man, who is a conscious entity, alone has the capacity to improve his present state, to guide his future, to enquire and know the truth, and to free himself from the cycle of birth and death through thoughtful actions.
The statement "I am Brahman" is both a postulation on the state of Brahman at an intellectual level and an expression of an enlightened yogi ( Brahmajnani) in a state of self-realization. The first comes out of an insight through study that "I am" is the state of "Brahman". The second comes out of an inner experience that "I am indeed none other than Brahman". One is a philosophical insight gained through vichara (thinking) and the other an awareness experienced in a transcendental state of samadhi or union. The statement "aham brahmasmi" does not vouch that "Atman (self) is Brahman", but "I am Brahman". It is an expression of "I am ness", not Atman, in relationship with Brahman.! 🙏🏻👁🙏🏻
Hari Om Tat Sat ~ Shivoham Shivoham! 🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

No comments:

Post a Comment