Monday 4 May 2015

I MEDITATE, HE SAID.


I MEDITATE, HE SAID.
“So, what work do you actually do?”Sati asked coyly as all newly married wives do.
“ I meditate”, Shiva answered.
“No, I meant what work do you do as in work?”
“Oh, you mean for a living?”
“Yes, that’s what I mean, what do you do for a livelihood?”said Sati
“Yes , I have noted that when most people ask you ‘what do you do?’ they mean livelihood only. Whereas I have always thought that there’s so much more than just what a man does for livelihood .So much more that goes in to make a ‘way of life’…You know… he may paint or sing or play sport…” Shiva smiled, “ but you meant work,right?”
“Yes” said Sati “ that’s what I meant, what do you do for work?”
“I meditate,” He answered again with a strange smile.
“I don’t understand,” She said.
“For most people, a livelihood and a way of life are two different things, for me it is all one,” He said.
“And you and I are one,” She said, drawing close to Him.“Humesha.”
“Yes,” He smiled.
“So then, teach me about Meditation,” She said.
“Yes, I will,” said Shiva. “I will teach you about Meditation, and then…”
“And then?”
“And then I will teach you about Meditation.”
“Yes!” She said excitedly.
“ I will teach you about meditation” Shiva repeated a third time. This time Sati registered the word ‘about’
“ Actually, one cannot teach Meditation,”Shiva continued,“Just as one cannot catch the Moon, even when it seems to be in the clasp of your hand when you clutch at the sky. Meditation is like that: it cannot be clasped by pointing, it must be from within, from practice.”
“So,can't you be a Guru for Meditation? If that’s all the work you do?” She asked, making a point.
“Ha Ha! Yes I can, but ultimately it’s you who must Meditate, right?”
“Right,” She said., “Understood. "

No comments:

Post a Comment